Wednesday, April 13, 2005

 

Tricks Are For Kids

17 ways to keep your blog obscure (spotlight: Evangelical Outpost)

It is a funny read but, you know, I'm getting pretty tired of being told that I'm not blogging right. That I should be concerned with traffic, and if I'm not, then I'm either a liar or I'm simply involved with keeping a journal, not a blog.

I once tried to make it as a song writer when I lived in Nashville, TN. I loved to write music, it was all great fun. I gave no thought to it outside of learning the craft and making the song sound right to me. However, once I started playing in clubs around the city and getting to know other songwriters all I ever heard was how I was supposed to write. I must write on certain themes only, I must write with a certain singer in mind, the song must have a bridge, the song must not be over three minutes long etc. One day I realized that I didn't like writing music any longer, in fact I hated it because it moved from something I loved into work.

There's nothing wrong with work, but I've already got a job thank you very much. So I'm fine with being part of the "tail". Good hours, no pressure, and I can write about any damn thing I want as much as I want. Like Kristofferson said in the classic "Me and Bobby Mcgee", Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose. Which by the way had no bridge, was well over three minutes long and I'm positive he wasn't thinking about Janis Joplin when he wrote it.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com