Thursday, April 28, 2005

 

Empty-Headed

After much reading, browsing, mulling and contemplating regarding what to post today I've come to a conclusion,I have nothing to say.

Nada, nyet, zilch, zero.

With that, I'm going to do what any good blogger with nothing to say would do. Don't worry I'm not going to blog about my cat, don't own one (terribly allergic). No, I'm going to post a list of what music I'm currently listening to.

House of the Rising Sun: I love that song. The whole creepy church organ with the wailing vocals. Lamentations of a tortured soul, enslaved by his addictions. Crying from the beyond with warnings to avoid the path that dead ends. Anything from the Animals is good, but this is their best work.

Dragging the Line: I like the base line to that song. Heard it in a car commercial. Love the line about the guys dog eating purple flowers. I find it funny the things people feel compelled to share with others in their songs.

Godzilla: Blue oyster cult. This song just simply rocks. It rocks in the best way too, it doesn't take itself seriously. Rock is always best when its free to be silly and fun.

King of the Road: Roger Miller. There's another artist that knew how to inject carefree humor into his work, country no less. That's a hard medium to be irreverent in, so many sad cul-de-sacs one can end up in.

Dang Me: Okay, I'm in a Roger Miller mood these days. This one is funny, but you can tell that just beneath the surface there is a man who is suffering. The song leaves no doubt that this guy's life is in a free fall and the landing will be nasty.

Going up the Country: Canned Heat. Unique vocals, a flute, and a great beat. Needs to be listened to on a sunny summer day with the top down driving some backroad.

Suspicious Minds: Elvis. I used to hate listening to Elvis, but the guy has just grown on me. The end part of this song with the women back-up singers screeching, the drummer breaking it down and Elvis being Elvis is just incredible. It gives me some idea what made this guy so famous.

Happy Together: The Turtles. It's a fun song to sing along to okay!

Cherish is the Word: The Association. A guy chorus belting out a great melody is not usually my thing, but they pulled it off well.

On The Road Again: Canned Heat. Powerful song. Sitar, harmonica, a driving base, and again those odd vocals. Another great song to cruise to.

Boys of Summer: Don Henley. I grew up in Florida and this song has a special significance. Even if it didn't it's one of the best crying-over-lost-love songs out there.

You are My Shining Star: The Manhattans. I could've sworn this was an Earth, Wind, and Fire song. Either way, it's a great song to sing along with.

Sundown: Gordon Lightfoot. One word "raunchy". The song is simply cool. It reminds me of dark pool halls and midnight drives to nowhere in particular.

Well maybe tomorrow I will have something good to say, otherwise I'm going to have to buy a cat.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com