Tuesday, January 25, 2005

 

Nothing New Under the Sun

Ecclesiastes is one of those books that I always forget about until I happen to browse across it and think "man this is good, I should read this more often."

More than any other book in the bible Ecclesiastes is able to talk to the modern man. We have an incredable standard of living in the west coupled with an incredible amount of vapid "stuff" meant to bring us happiness and fulfilment, but doesn't. Because of this we have all become a bunch of Soloman's. Wise but jaded, wealthy but hungry.

" I have seen everything that is done under the sun; and behold, all is vanity and a striving after wind."

Who in America today wouldn't understand that verse?

The more words, the more vanity, and what is man the better?

That one, I should take to heart.

Comments:
My particular evangelical upbringing pointed only to the new testament books. The OT, I was told, was only there to show us how much Christ was needed. This is true, but the OT to me is much more than that.

I love the "warts and all" image you get of the individuals written about. The contrast between the utter darkness of man and the raw majesty of God is something that cannot be understated.
 
That shoud've been "overstated" in my earlier post.

Yeah, I don't understand the issue many have with the OT. I was once told to wait until I was a much more "mature" christian before I deciding to read the OT, and even then it was really not necissary.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com